Monday 12 December 2011

Eddie

So I was sat in the Ford Meadow Club early in 2010 being interviewed for the First Team Manager's job by the Chairman and another committee member. I'.m outlining my plans should I be the successful applicant and taking in the surroundings, wow! I could feel the history in there, what a football venue- how could you not fall in love with the old place? Anyway, as I'm searching for the right words to impress my interviewers I suddenly became aware of a colourful looking gent who appeared out of nowhere, cleaning tabletops and generally finding tasks to do within ear shot of the meeting!

I soon realised that the colourful gent showing a big interest in my meeting was in fact Eddie Cole, the best supporter and volunteer any football club could wish for. Eddie was not looking for perfection on the pitch, his only wish was that for anyone who pulled on the Robins shirt to give their absolute all for the Buckingham Town cause, something which Eddie did every week come rain or shine.

Managers and players come and go but fans and volunteers are the essence of any football club, Eddie- I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment