Friday 17 February 2012

Development Team

I see the Development Team take centre stage tomorrow with no first team game. The squad and its concept is still very much in its infancy but debate rages on within the club regarding the viability of a section that is not self sufficient, for at least as long as we remain homeless. I am a football man first, businessman second but I understand the difficulties we face. Putting aside finance for a moment I am pleased that we have persevered with the project and I strongly believe the club will benefit from this pioneering season in the years to come. I hope Robins fans commit to the game at St John's Lane, Wicken tomorrow after the snow has put paid to recent fixtures, it's about supporting your club more than anything and I know you are great at that!

I listened with interest recently to Andre Villas Boas's thoughts on feeder teams in the lower divisons of English football. I am not a massive fan of his but it struck me that he feels Chelsea would benefit from it's young academy players getting real experience in the more robust but competitive lower divisions as a complete unit, rather than individuals being on loan here there and everywhere. Well we are clearly not in Chelsea's league but we do have our development side playing in a direct feeder league and though its currently not the best standard I feel it is more beneficial than a non competitive reserve league. Whether you like or dislike AVB and his opinions I think it's good that we have something at our club which one of Europe's premier clubs would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment