Monday 5 September 2011

Reserves/Development/Dads Army

Well , Well, Well

I see the second team is still causing debate- nothing wrong with that, shows people care. I can see all sides of the problem but I must say that I think it is a bit early to be writing it off. I believe it is the first time in well over a year that BTFC has been able to field two sides on the same day albeit with a lot of last minute rallying around by the Chairman and I think we should be applauded for that.

Vince's question about where do the players come from to cover those away or injured raises more interesting questions like where do the players coming back from injury or holidays go? straight back in the first team? if so where do the players who filled in go?. We need to remember that unfortunately we don't have a premier ground this season, from what I saw last term and the feedback from one or two players who have left us this season it is fairly obvious that Ford Meadow and the opportunity to play there was a major factor in people staying through bad times and coming back even when not selected for a few weeks. I feel fairly confident that players who don't regularly get in our first team would not keep coming back to the Winslow Centre (no disrespect intended) without the opportunity to prove themselves in the second 11.

Last Saturday was the beginning of the development team, not a signal for it to end and I echo the Chairman's thanks to those who gave help.

The development side is a concept drawn up and decided upon by the committee before we lost our ground and there are a number of reasons for the difficulties we have faced culminating in saturdays events.

The essence of the concept was for last years under 18s players who are now too old to play at that level to come together with fringe first teamers and a few of the current under 18s and form "The development squad". We want the side to play in the same style as the first team with short passing and ball retention the key elements regardless of what sort of opposition they encounter.

Not everybody in the meeting was comfortable with going into the North Bucks league for reasons which have become fairly obvious, certainly to those who attended the first game but it was chosen for the logistical side and ease of administration etc. I spent a long time in the North Bucks leagues myself so I don't like openly criticising the standard, you should never forget where you came from.

The major blow to the development squad came when Steve Mercer and Steve Fisher were forced to find an alternative club for our/their U18s to play because of losing Ford Meadow and so the natural flow and pull through of players was lost. I'm still hopeful of resurrecting our tie up with the two Steves but I do feel that the decision to play north bucks football may have a bearing on their willingness to send players our way.

Another factor in the development squads problems is the fact that with everything going on I let players from last years U18s like Chris Foster, Joe Townsend, Josh Fagan, Harry Brock, Mark Edwards, Craig Knox and Kyle Bateman (to name a few) slip through the net. Some of these lads will probably be going to University but some have been lost to other clubs and I hold my hand up and fully accept responsibility for this failure.

As the Chairman says, the easy option would be to fold the reserves/development side but taking the easy option is what I'm afraid has cost this club time and time again down the years so we will continue and we will get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment